Monday, October 15, 2007

Mt Dora Bike Festival


We met Saturday morning before sun up in Mt Dora. They were having a 2 day festival featuring a bunch of different bike rides. The 100 mile ride fit in our schedule. The $40 registration fee was worth it to have someone else plan the route. There were also 3 or 4 stops along the way we could stop and refuel.

There were a lot of bikers. We started tor wards the back and let the roadies go. We did end up passing a bunch of people, but there were also some big packs on the roads. The ride started out cool. I am glad I did not wear my long sleeve shirt. It got hot quick. At the end of the ride it was very warm. The wind seemed to be pretty constant all day. I was good the first 1/3 of the ride or more. Then about half way my hamstring on my left leg was killing me. I could not pedal without pain. Great. I was better when I was not in the aero position. Going up some of the hills were fine when I was out of my saddle. I am not sure what I did.

My MPH dropped the last 30 miles. We probably averaged a little less that 17mph. Much slower than I would have liked. I did down 4 Advil it helped a little.

Nutrition on the day was fine. I should have drank more. I need to make sure I take more Enduralytes. I had an issue getting at the stuff in my bento box. I need to keep more food in my jersey. I had little pretzel sandwiches with cheddar cheese in the middle from Hanover. They were very good..I will keep those for race day.

The ride took us back into Mt Dora. Gary and I loaded the bike in the car and went for a 5 mile run. I started and finished okay. The rest sucked. I tried stretching out my hamstring, but it had to shuffle run. I could not raise my left leg, bent at the knee to my waist.

Got home in time for Kristy to leave with Grace for a birthday party. I tried to take a nap, but both time I got woken up by the phone.

SUNDAY: We met at 5am for a run. The plan was to do 12. I managed about 8 and headed back. Still some hamstring issues. I do not want to push it to hard. We did get to Lucky's lake for an open water swim. It was "cold" out, but the water temp was 82. I got 3 crossings in(3K) and felt good. I could or should have done 1 more..

My sleeveless wetsuit should come today. I am excited to try it out vs the full suit. I would like to get a lake swim in next weekend. I am in Charlotte, NC today. I brought my workout stuff, but I might just use the hot tub and pool to stretch out.

Now, I thought I was headed to the TAPER. I have been looking at the Triathlete Magazine Ironman taper, from a couple month back. It has a 100 mile bike and 20 mile run this weekend. I might modify this depending on how my body feels. I know how my mind feels. I am toast. I am ready to slow down. We will see what happens. I need to think carefully about this week and weekend..

1 comment:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Mt. Dora! I didn't even think to do that for my last big ride. Sounds like a decent end to your ironman build. Hope your taper is going well!