Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Beach

Yesterday....

I awoke at 4am to meet Gary for a 4:30am run. We did an easy 8 miles. I was home before anyone even woke up at home. I took a personal day from work, so I was able to take care of some stuff at home. It was also probably the first time in over a year that I washed my car. Most of the time when I wash my car, I get help from one of my kids and the car never really gets washed.

I spent a hour on the trainer on the back porch. Gary and Clint met at my house for a trip to the beach. We figured it would be a good idea to get some ocean swimming in. In theory, it sounded great. Well, it was well over a 2 hour drive to get there because of traffic. We arrived a couple minutes before 6pm and got in the water. We swam with the St Pete Mad Dogs. We walked down the beach about a mile got in the water and swam back to where we started. So the whole swim we were parallel to the beach.

I now know what a bobber feels like. It was a little rough. I felt good as far as the distance. It was a little tough to get in a grove with the waves breaking. A couple times I must have been swimming on a sand bar, so I had to move out further. The swim probably took 40 minutes or so. We will do another ocean swim before the race. I am not sure we need to go all the way to St Pete. but it was a nice beach and the water was in the high 80's

We did a little run after the swim and grabbed a bite to eat and headed home. We did not get back to my house till close to 11pm. The drive to swim ratio was a little high..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Everything is a learning process eh Cuke? What's amazing out here in CA is how different the ocean conditions are week to week. Two weeks ago it was about 75 and last night the water temp was 58!

Going through that much work to do an ocean swim shows your mettle though and most likely that small bit of experience will be used in the race. Interesting to follow along with your adventures so keep up the hard work...almost there now.