Monday, September 24, 2007

Full Circle

I raced the Disney Triathlon on Sunday. What a great race.

I arrived at the parking area at about 6am. My bike was already in the transition area as it is mandatory to have it checked in the night before. I organized may area. The 2 bikes on either side of me did not show up so I had some extra space. I made my way to the water to get body marked. With that done it was back to transition to apply some sunscreen. I go to my area and realized that i left my nutrition(gels and blocks) in the car. I did remember my water bottles which contained my bike nutrition.

I was able to get 1 gel pack from a neighbor. I should have begged for more. I was fine on the bike and swim, I could of used a gel or 2 on the run...Live and Learn.

The Swim: My age group Men 35-39 was split into 2 waves as there was a total of 142 athletes in my group. It is amazing what difference a year makes. Last year, I raced with Team in Training. Disney was my 2nd triathlon. Last year at the start I was nervous. This year I was nervous, but more excited energy. I entered the water and swam relaxed most of the 1.5K swim. The water was fine. I did bump into some people. But I held my own. I had a 36minute swim. Which is probably good for me. I did breast stroke a couple of times, if I swallowed some water or going around the markers and that was it..Last year I had a 45 minute swim. Out of the water I was 77 out of 142

T1: Un eventful, aside from the atleast 1/4 mile run 3:12

The bike: I have ridden parts of this course quite a bit so I knew what to expect. We had some head wind the last part of the route. My goal was to average 20mph on the bike and I came in just over that. I passed a good number of people and felt good. I did see on accident. Disney attracts a lot of Team in Training and new participant, which is great... But, I think some of these people lack time on the bike and might not be as comfortable on the bike. So I was cautious of this during the ride..the last 2-4 miles they had signs up that you could not pass. I used this to stretch out my legs, so no problems. Bike time 1:49 for 35 miles. place 46 out of 142

T2: cleaned my glasses put on my running shoes and I was off. 1:53

The Run: I am not a big fan of 2 loop courses, which this was..I could have used some gel and it was hot. That is pretty much all of my excuses. I did walk a couple of times. I need to work on my brick runs. This weekend I will do a 100 mile ride and a long run after. I did have a huge stomach issue on the 2nd loop. I could not get myself to burp and I had drank to much water Gatorade and it was sitting there..finally I let out the loudest burp and felt much better.

The run was very similar to the half ironman course.. We ran off road for probably a half mile each loop which rally sucked. I only run on pavement. I never train off road, so I did not like the uneven footing..10K run 62:31. 31 out of 142.

The finish. I was able to push the last 1/4 mile and pass some people at the end. It felt good to finish strong. Total time 3:32. 39 out of 142 in my age group. What a difference a year makes. I hope I get to Ironman Florida and I am as calm and have as much fun.

2 comments:

Michele said...

congrats on a great race.

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Great job on the race! That was a massive improvement on the swim.